Discrimination ~ music-wise

Music is separated into styles and genres which are separated into sub-genres which are separated into micro-genres. People can use them to describe a certain song or album. Genres and the way that people use them are fairly accurate but there is a handful which are not - they are rather controversial - and this leads to a subject of discrimination when talking about genres and certain styles of music.

Psychedelic
Immediately, I am going to start this point with the fact how much my father hates my musical taste. He specifies almost all of my music as "psychedelia" and treats this noun as an insult to quite a large extent. I honestly find that unnecessary because I never told him that U2 should retire. Psychedelic music and all the sub-genres can be portrayed by some as "music on drugs" or simply "weird" - this adjective is quite popular in music that people don't understand. Certainly, this is a specific style of music which is quite distinctive by its nature stated before. I find psychedelic music interesting because in this genre, artists tend to vary different attitudes towards the way that they create and how they create music. Discrimination isn't present in the title, because it's not downgrading the music, but in the way that people portray the music and instantly distance themselves from it.

IDM
IDM stands for intelligent dance music. Noticeably, the name of the genre is controversial and discriminating. It implies that this music is more intelligent than other dull, ignorant and stupid types of music. Even musicians creating music in this genre are against the name given to this style: 
I just think it's really funny to have terms like that. It's basically saying, "this is intelligent and everything else is stupid." It's really nasty to everyone else's music. (laughs) It makes me laugh, things like that. I don't use names. I just say that I like something or I don't.  
- Aphex Twin (1997)
All these things about us being "intelligent" and the term "IDM" are just silly. I'm not a particularly intelligent person, me. I'm diligent, I'm pretty hardworking, but I'm not that clever. I ain't got any qualifications, I just pick up stuff that I think is interesting at the time... There was also the "Artificial Intelligence" tag that Warp coined, but to me as a listener that never seemed to be saying "this is more intelligent." It was just a signifier of it being sci-fi music... Thing is, almost all the artists on that first AI compilation are just like us, they were regular kids, they're not intelligent people particularly. Richard [D. James] is a fucking blagger, Richie Hawtin too... I don't know how the fuck he gets away with the things he does!
- Sean Booth, Autechre (2016) 
As the Cambridge Dictionary states, intelligence is "the ability to learn, understand, and make judgments or have opinions that are based on reason." Surely, music doesn't have an ability to learn, make judgments nor have opinions as this isn't a living creature and therefore, it's not even logically possible for music to be literally intelligent and creating such music doesn't make you intelligent either as previously stated by Sean Booth.

Freak folk
Another name indicating that one is different than the others. Some of the bands/artists creating music in this style are Animal Collective, CocoRosie, Grizzly Bear and Sufjan Stevens. This name presents that this genre is "weird" in the sonic aspects of the work and the other styles are "normal" and can also have an alternative meaning of being better. This is fully incorrect. The fact that freak folk originated from/is a synonym of psychedelic folk is even more striking in the fact that it is inappropriate to name music such way. Imagine calling a person a freak. Just because he does something unusual/something that you don't doesn't mean that they're an oddity. Ultimately, art can be odd and unacceptable by some, it is a creation which is supposed to "disturb the comforted and comfort the disturbed" (unknown originator), but it doesn't mean that it's weak or unpleasant.

Denouement
Either way, genres are just a limiting tool that cannot describe every album and if they do, they're not 100% accurate and we shouldn't believe them but treat them as a possible suggestion to point us in a roughly correct direction where we want to go in. They can be a noun or an adjective to describe or insult an artist or their music mostly because of being "weird" which correctly should be described as different but as my friend stated: "if people thought that there was no need for change, we would still burn ordinary people at the stake."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music as blissful and overwhelming

To each their own

Bandcamp recommendations ~ return to 2018